Sunday, November 16, 2014

My Outlander Shawl

It all started with a picture.  This picture.  OH. MY. WOW.  I wasn't an Outlander follower, but I had read that the knitwear on this show was something to see.  When I saw this picture it was all over.  I wanted to be standing in a Scottish field, wearing that shawl, although it would take a bit of work to get my husband into a kilt, despite his Irish roots.  All my Scotch Irish heritage was screaming, "KNIT THE SHAWL!"



I followed my inner Scottish Irish Lass and knit what has become my favorite shawl to wear.  Here is my contribution to the Outlander knitting craze.

Outlander Shawl



Materials:
Size US 17 circular needles
3 skeins Bernat Mega Bulky (100% acrylic) in brown

Gauge:
4.5 stitches by 5 rows = 4 inches

Finished Measurements:
46 inches wide and 20 inches long




Abbreviations:
k: knit
yo: yarn over

Directions:
Cast on 3 stitches

Row 1 : yo, k to end of row

Repeat row 1 until there are 53 stitches on the needle.  Bind off all stitches without breaking yarn.

(Having a yarn over at the beginning of each row is how the shawl is made wider.)


Making up:

My finished stitch count with this shawl was 53 stitches.  A friend of mine finished her shawl with quite a few more stitches in her final stitch count.  This pattern is very adaptable for different knitting tensions, the main thing you want is for the shawl to be able to wrap around your shoulders.

After you have cast off, fold the corners of the shawl to your liking,  I liked mine crossed.  Using your unbroken yarn, sew into the yarn over border to close your shawl.  Once you have finished sewing your shawl together, break the yarn and weave in the ends.

This yarn is glorious but heavy, because of the weight of the yarn, I had to sew my shawl a couple of times.  I sewed my shawl together the first time, then once I put it on the yarn began to stretch out.  After I undid my seam, I reseamed it with a smaller opening for the neck, so that when the yarn stretched it wouldn't fall off my shoulders. 




 A special thanks to my dear friend Amy, who braved the sleet to take pictures for me.


3 comments:

  1. Looking at the pictures on the blog here, I had an idea. Wouldn't look like the shawl on the show, so just an idea. If you are slipping stitches at the end of rows, you could add buttons to hold the shawl together rather than sewing. If you use shank buttons held together with jump rings you could easily remove the buttons and, perhaps use ribbon to lace up through those same slip stitch holes to dress it up.
    I'm going to have to make this now, just to try those things!
    Also, please ask Amy what pattern her lovely swear is made from. I'm hoping it's hand made and not store bought. ;)
    Thank you for the lovely pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a gorgeous (and fun) idea!
      In the picture I am wearing (my dear friend Amy took the pictures) Cable and Cowl Pullover by Mathew Gnagy, it's on ravelry.

      Delete
  2. Yay! I'm so excited to make my first shawl and I'm dreaming of Scotland for sure! Thank you for my first project as a new knitter!

    ReplyDelete