Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Jane Austen Knits Pattern Mash-Up


I have always had a deep love for Jane Austen.  From the first time I read it in junior high to this day, Pride and Prejudice is still my favorite book.  The first "grown-up" movie my mother took me to was Emma, starring Gwenyth Paltrow.  My senior high school choir award was the "I'd rather be riding horses while wearing pretty dresses", my friends knew me and my adoration for the aristocratic class of the regency era well.  I don't think I have moved too far away from that award.

Recently at my LYS, my friend handed me a copy of Jane Austen Knits.  Oh. My. Wow.  Totally captivated, I bought that magazine right then and there.  Not only does the magazine have lovely patterns but it also includes history of Regency England.  After reading the magazine cover to cover later that evening, I began reading sections of it out loud to my husband.  Finally, when I had finished he smiled at me, "Karly, I am so glad you are happy with your magazine." I love that man.

When I found out that there are actually three Jane Austin Knits magazines, I went on the hunt.  With the Fall 2012 edition in my possession, I next purchased the Summer 2012 issue.  Unfortunately, I cannot find the 2011 edition in anything other than a digital edition. 

Within a week of my acquiring my Jane Austen knitting magazines my cousin graduated from college.  My gift to her was a knitting IOU.  She requested a pair of elbow length fingerless gloves, with lace and cables in a blue color.  Immediately I thought of making her something out of JAK.  I knew that both of the magazines had patterns for fingerless gloves, although neither pattern quite matched her request.  Why then not combine the patterns?

For the gloves I chose a new-to-me faceless fiber, Berroco Floret.  Made from 75% acrylic and 25% cotton, this yarn is so, so soft.  With US size 4 double pointed needles I CO 36 stitches and worked the lace charts of Hetty's Sunday Cuffs by Danelle Sorensen, from the Summer 2012 JAK.  Once I had finished the lace charts I began the thumb gusset using the established thumb gusset pattern from Longbourn Mitts by Danielle Chalson, from the Fall 2012 JAK. The Stitches not being used for the thumb gusset I worked in straight stitch, decreasing 12 stitches evenly over the next 2 rounds.  The final length of the gloves ended up being 13 inches.


*I learned by trial and error that deciding to rip a project bottom up, ESPECIALLY if it is a lace work, doesn't go as smoothly as ripping top down.  I won't try that again, I ended up spending two hours ripping out stitches when it only took a half hour to knit back what I'd ripped.*

No comments:

Post a Comment