Thursday, June 20, 2013

Sizing Up


 




Symbiotic relationships are seen throughout biological species.  Sharks and Cleaner fish, Rhinos and Oxpeckers, my seven year old Pixie and myself.  I love knitting for my daughter, she loves wearing the hand made knit wear, a perfect symbiotic relationship.

A few years ago for her birthday I made her the Top-down Baby and Children Cable Yoke Jacket by Kyoko Nakayoshi.  After wearing it religiously for three years, she outgrew it last fall. 

 





Pixie needed a new sweater, I was sure of it.  Happily, she said she would love a new one.  Enter Snap, an adorable little sweater pattern designed by Julie Weisenberger for Coco Knits, add a few skeins of Yarn Hollow's Quest, and we were on course for a new sweater. 

 Snap is written for up to 24 months, calling for US 6 needles, using Sublime Soya Cotton, with a gauge of 22 sts and 28 rows = 4 " in ST st.  The finished measurements are bust of 18-20" and a length of 12-15". 

The pattern needed to be sized up.  I wanted the sweater to wear more like a jacket, a jacket that she could grow into (she keeps getting taller) wearing for more than one season.  Using US 8's with bulky cotton yarn Quest, I knit the pattern according to the directions for the 12-24 months.  My gauge ended up being 13 stitches over 18 rows = 4".  The length ended up being 27" and the bust 25".


 After ripping out half of the sweater my first time around, apparently migraines and knitting patterns do not mix well, the sweater turned out well.  The size works great as a sweater/wrap. Snap's short rows give the sweater a beautiful drape.  Quest's color variegation is lovely, making the sweater quite eye catching.  Most importantly, Pixie loves it.




No comments:

Post a Comment